About Me

My photo
Welcome!! My name is Jen and I am a first year special education teacher advocating in the wild world of middle school in the heart of Knoxville, TN. Tag a long while I document my personal journey in the education field!

Friday, July 12, 2019

Advice for Starting Your Professional Wardrobe Sincerely First Year Teacher

If you are experiencing anything like me, I had to quit my full time job to complete student teaching! By the time you graduate, you're lucky if you have time in the summer to work. We know it takes weeks to get a response back for an interview, not to mention time for the company to even reach back about the position. With that being said, I felt that taking the summer to relax, unwind, and experience some free time to self-reflect was the best option. I had the experience of signing an early contract for the upcoming year back in March! Unlike some of my other cohort members, I wasn't stressing out about finding a job right out of college. in fact, I landed it at the local job fair! I believe that it was because I have my Special Ed degree and we are in high demand of SPED teachers. I know what the expectations are and I honestly love challenging stressful situations. I understand those kiddos!

Getting back on track, I haven't had any income since December with the exception of my student loan refund that I took out knowing I needed to pay for my bills while Student Teaching! Word of advice, take out the extra funds the semester prior to student teaching and put them away! Some schools will divide your final loan in half, therefore you may not receive the extra cash until student teaching is over. I had that issue and it was a nightmare!!!!

As a first year teacher, you are overwhelmed with materials to collect for the upcoming year. Not to mention your professional attire! I am working with Middles, personally, I feel that I should be mindful of the types of clothing I purchase. Today's clothing seems much more shear than I remember! Not to mention how expensive professional attire can be. Even Target's business attire will run you 50-75.00 for one outfit! Yes! I know!


I remember being younger and shopping just to shop. I would see something on clearance and buy it because it was discounted. Majority of the time, those items would hang in my closet with the tags for MONTHS! What a waste of money! Today, I am more mindful of the pieces I add to my closet. For example, colors, style and versatile pieces are my weakness. I can never go wrong with black, grey, navy, or olive colors.

My mother in law and I had a shopping date recently; she took me to this consignment shop that was particular with the types of product they sell. We spent hours in that store! I had so much fun looking around at pieces of donated clothing to add to mine! Begin Again is a high end consignment shop that values quality sold products in Morristown, TN that has an innovative way of selling product.

 

When product goes on the floor, it has a timed listed sale price. The longer each piece is on the rack, the cheaper it becomes. This innovative approach is an effective marketing strategy to keep seasoned affiliated pieces aligned! For example, I found a dress that was from Banana Republic that was placed on the sales floor for $16.95. On July 10, the price decreased to $12.71 as seen in the picture above. You can also sign up for emails about additional savings. I have listed the link Begin Again Mailing List Sign Up. If you live in the Eastern Tennessee area, I recommend a visit! Here are some other items I found on my hunt for new teacher attire!

 

Tunic
Brand: Old Navy
Purchase Price: $4.47



 

Blouse
Brand: Loft
Purchase Price: $8.95



 

Tunic
Brand: Naked Zebra
Purchase Price: $7.48

On our second adventure, I stumbled across a typical consignment shop that had some good quality pieces, I really had to hunt! Consignment Cottage is another hidden gem in Morristown, TN that gives you a nostalgic thrift store feel. It's almost like your on a mission to find hidden treasure! This store is smaller in size, but they do have a variety of product, you have to search because it is not color coordinated like the previous store. Hey, that's OK! I enjoy a good hunt! On this particular day, Consignment Cottage had a 70% off special on merchandise that was not clearance. Needless to say I found three tops for only $6.00. I will need to layer them, but they are still super cute. Each shirt was listed at $8.00 each, but with the special, I paid $2.00 a piece. Can you find anything wrong with these?



Both Shirts
Brand: Lauren Conrad

Brand: R and J

I liked this shirt because my school colors are Red and Blue!
































Am I embarrassed to say that I bought clothing at a thrift store? ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!

My tip for any first year teacher would be to save your pennies and spend wisely. We don't have the resources other seasoned teachers do, but we have to start somewhere! Make a list of your priorities and find ONE thing that you would use rigorously and purchase new (COMFORTABLE SHOES)! 
Save your cash and go on a hunt for those additional pieces that are going to be new to you! Stock up on materials that matter:

  • Flair Pens
  • Markers
  • Paper
  • Ink
  • Laminator and sheets
  • Organizational Materials 
  • Chocolate
These are examples of spending wisely! You should look amazing, smart, put together, professional, and feel awesome! However, you don't need to spend $$$$ doing it! 

I want to give credit to my AWESOME mother in law, ANNE, for spending the day with me and treating me to all the great treasures that I found! I am blessed to have such great in laws!

Not sponsored, but give credit where credit is due: Facebook Pages for both shops mentioned
Begin Again Facebook Page
Happy Thrifting!!
xo's 
Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment