About Me

My photo
Welcome!! My name is Jen and I am a first year special education teacher advocating in the wild world of middle school in the heart of Knoxville, TN. Tag a long while I document my personal journey in the education field!

Sunday, December 16, 2018

Reflection, Change & Closing a Huge Chapter

The FINAL week of being a Junior K teacher has arrived! 



 I have been preparing my kiddos for the big change. I have had some say they were sad, don't go, and I'll miss you! With that being said, the kiddos seem more apprehensive every time I leave, (lunch or for the day). Honestly, I feel like I am abandoning them. I feel guilty for walking away to complete my degree. It has been wearing on me hard! I have put so much effort with being a positive role model for them. I can see the change it has made. I'm gonna miss those kiddos! I hate the idea of knowing I am leaving them in the hands of someone who will not implement my strategies. I know the end result will be regression... Why do I feel sad about walking away from a place that has turned their back on me? The parents and kids! If you're one of my fab parents  I do apologize for the uproar your child will endure. I'm sorry that there are teachers in the world who do not teach to inspire. Instead, they threaten, yell, and kiss ass to have a job. 



This situation transpired an epiphany... 
We want our children to make the right choices, because they WANT to! Children who are scared of their caregiver will only make the choices because of FEAR itself. How does that demonstrate self-efficacy? I believe in the Social Learning Theory. This theory defines that we learn through the influence of others in our surrounding environment. I mean think about it; fashion trends, slang, and popular items are all examples of people being influenced to NEED these things because it's in now.

I reflected my personal growth over the 17 years in the early childhood field, and realized that this strategy is the most effective in all my teaching years. In order to truly get a child to learn, they must feel safe, important, and apart of the community. I take pride with implementing getting to know my students and families during the first few weeks of the new year. I came up with key points that will help you build a concrete foundation for building a effective classroom community:
  1. Build Trust  * From the very first interaction, model respect by making eye contact with the parents when speaking. Get on the child's level and introduce yourself to them as well. Parents are their very first teachers. Showing the child that their family matters fosters a sense of trust between you and the family.
  2. Respect * I am a FIRM believer that you treat children like people! They are people too. The way you approach them will set the tone of their reaction. Remember you are a role model! Your actions will influence theirs.
  3. Positive Phrases * Yes, we sometimes get frustrated, but the negative words used when giving instructions are only heard. No, Stop, Don't... Using these words when initiating directions is demonstrating one thing. NEGATIVE RESPONSE! Are these phrases giving direction? Ok, you want him to stop throwing toys... Give him a response that will indicate what you are wanting him to do. "I see you're throwing the legos, I need you to place them in the basket before someone breaks them." This reply is letting the child know you are aware of the misbehavior, and you are clearly directing him to follow instructions to prevent an injury.
  4. Make Eye Contact *When They Are Talking To You * This is a major pet peeve of mine! Children are people! They want you to show them that they are important to you! Remember actions speak louder than words! 
  5. Avoid Empty Threats * I had a parent tell me that her daughter got on yellow (she's in Kindergarten now), and she got upset because she didn't want her mom to tell me. She was afraid to disappoint me! Again, afraid to disappoint ME! Our relationship meant that much to her! With that being said, whenever you are disciplining, follow through and be consistent! Empty threats will generate a sense of bluffing. The kiddos will lose respect for you!
  6. Be Genuine * An effective classroom is described as a place where students and teachers are both learning! Importantly, they are learning from one another. Children are engaged, happy, and eager to get to school! 
This week will be bittersweet! Although, I won't miss feeling hated, ridiculed, and shamed by my peers, I will miss those bright shining faces and sweet hugs! I can just hope that the short time I was their teacher, I made a difference in their lives that will help them become amazing people! 

Xo's

No comments:

Post a Comment